Re: [Intel-gfx] Regression on GMA965 - display seems to have slowjump changes in brightness

From: Zdenek Kabelac
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 10:21:46 EST

2012/5/23 Daniel Vetter <daniel@xxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 01:48:41PM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

>> > Quick question: What's the frequency of the brightness change? And how
>> > regular are the changes?
>> > -Daniel
>>

>> Now when it's obvious it's related to powersaving  - it's probably
>> much easier to explain,
>> that I've been observing those changes when some activity was happing -
>> i.e. opening  picture - and after like 1 second image has flashed, -
>> then I've moved the mouse
>> stopped - and again image has flashed with brightness a bit.
>>
>> The issue would be probably far less noticeable if the period of time
>> of idle GPU would have to be
>> much longer (i.e. in minute range)
>
> Hm, that sounds more like something ugly is happening when we switch
> frequencies as opposed to the different frequency causing interference
> with the backlight. Just to check: You only see a quick flash, then
> brightness is back to normal?

In fact I'm not really noticing the moment it goes back to normal -
I'll notice when it gets darker.
i.e. when I open picture with 'qiv' - after a second I notice that
picture becomes a bit darker.
If I do not move with anything - it stays this way.

> If that's the case, please try Chris' fastboot branch. vsyncing the
> frequency change might indeed fix this.

I've tried to compile, but compilation finished with some errors - so
I've tried to rebase branch on master 3.4 - tried to resolve some
error - but probably in a wrong thus resulted kernel given me just
black screen when X has been initialized. So I'll try to remove some
config options and I'll try to rebuild original fastboot branch later.

Zdenek