Re: [patch -linus] regmap: REMAP_IRQ should select IRQ_DOMAINitself

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 00:53:51 EST

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Mark Brown wrote:

> > What's fragile is going around and adding "select IRQ_DOMAIN" to
> > everything that does "select REGMAP_IRQ". So I removed that and just made
> > IRQ_DOMAIN select REGMAP_IRQ itself.
>
> It's a different kind of fragility, things break immediately when you
> add something new which is reasonably obvous as opposed to happening
> at some other time due to a tooling issue and what I'm concerned about
> avoiding. In any case...

Well pardon me for actually having a cluster of machines at Google
dedicated to upstream build/boot/regression testing that verified my patch
was correct and didn't result in any kind of "fragility", or what you have
convinced yourself is "fragility."

> > So can this be merged or what's the issue?
>
> ...Linus already merged my alternative patch which does this with a
> select..if which never seems to have these issues.

When you propose your own version, drop all cc's (and this isn't the first
time you've done that), and then send the git pull request less than 30
minutes later, I don't really have the chance to review it. Lesson
learned, I simply won't bother to fix your code in the future.