RE: [git pull] machine check recovery fix

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Fri May 18 2012 - 12:57:19 EST

> Ok, having thought it over some more, I decided to do the pull.

Thanks.

> I still think MCE is confusing and actively buggy in many respects,
> and your RIPV check is much much too late, but with your patch it's no
> worse than it used to be.

Yes, it is confusing (and buggy ... VM86 mode check needs to be added
for one thing ... the special treatment of "ip == 0" is also bad). The
lookup table in mce-severity.c is there so that you can take the ".o"
from the kernel tree and link with some user mode sanity checking
tools in the mce-test toolset. Which I think is a step up from following
the pseudo-code in the SDM (which have their own bugs).

I'll try to make it better - but it is never going to be beautiful.

-Tony