Re: Remoteproc adaptations for ST-Ericsson modems

From: Ohad Ben-Cohen
Date: Thu May 17 2012 - 11:45:13 EST

Hi Sjur,

Sorry for the late response. I wanted to play with a few of the stuff
you mentioned, but some internal schedule prevented me from doing
that, and eventually I just decided not to wait anymore so we could at
least continue our discussion. so sorry again and thanks for your
patience.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Sjur BRENDELAND
<sjur.brandeland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, I trigger this warning by calling rproc_register() and rproc_boot()
> in sequence from a remoteproc client without using rpmsg.

Is this just testing code or a real driver you expect to merge ?

It sounds like we may have a race there, but the usage you describe is
somewhat non-standard and I don't think we really want to consider it
valid: usually we have a low level driver, responsible for the
platform-specific remoteproc implementation, which only calls
rproc_register() and not rproc_boot(), and a different, high-level
driver which triggers an rproc_boot() invocation when required by the
use case.

> 1. rproc-client does rproc_alloc() and rproc_register()
> 2. This trigger loading of firmware asynchronously.
> 3. Resource table is scanned for virtio device and virtio device
>   are registered.
> 4. Registration cause probing of rpmsg virtio driver

Yes, and it may also cause probing of any other virtio driver whose
device was just registered by remoteproc.

> >> I think it would be nice to be able to turn this feature off.
> >
> > Care to explain why ? what exactly do you want to do that you can't
> > today ?
>
> The difference is that I am not planning to call rproc_boot()
> from rpmsg, but trigger booting from user space using sysfs.

What's the bigger design picture you have in mind ? No kernel drivers at all ?
How do you plan to support recovery from crashes of the remote
processor (i.e. who notifies user space that something bad happened) ?

After we'll understand the bigger picture, we could surely come up
with the technical solution.

Thanks!
Ohad.