Re: [GIT PULL] new mailmap file for the linux kernel git repository

From: Joe Perches
Date: Wed May 16 2012 - 12:10:40 EST

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 16:25 +0200, Philipp Riemer wrote:
> This leads to the fact that many people have
> typos in there names or use ".local" or ".(none)" email addresses.
> Hence, Git supports .mailmap files to overcome this and correct known
> mistakes.
[]
> But I would say that
> this file is as good as done.

Why add these entries at all again?

For instance, my name is listed once in your patch.
and I don't see a reason it should be entered at all.

Many developers share a common name and some of
these entries may be not be correct.

Some developers purposefully use multiple email
addresses to allow direct responses to be categorized
on receipt.