Re: Regression due to 7ff9554 "printk: convert byte-buffer to variable-lengthrecord buffer"

From: Stephen Warren
Date: Thu May 10 2012 - 17:58:56 EST

On 05/10/2012 02:26 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Stephen Warren <swarren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Ok, didn't really see the assign to 0 you tried, sorry. :)
>>>
>>> And 'dmesg' works when you run the box with the line commented out?
>>>
>>> And 'cat /dev/kmsg'?
>>
>> Yes, both work and produce reasonable output.
>
> Really weird. I have zero ideas at what this could be. The messages in
> /dev/kmsg have seqnums, you see the 0 as the first?
>
> 5,0,0;Linux version 3.4.0-rc6+ ...
> 6,1,0;Command line: root=/dev/sda1 ...
>
>> "cat /dev/kmsg" does hang
>> at the end of the log until I CTRL-C it - is that expected?
>
> Yeah, 'cat' is a blocking read(), tools would use poll().

Found the bug. __log_buf isn't correctly aligned, so the very first
message gets the struct log written to an unaligned address. Subsequent
entries would be correctly aligned in log_store(), except the kernel has
already crashed by then.

The ts_nsec field is a 64-bit write, which triggers the alignment
requirement. I'm not quite sure why the previous 16-bit writes for the
various len fields didn't experience an issue, since __log_buf ended up
at an odd address for me. Perhaps ARM doesn't have an alignment
requirement for 16-bit writes, but does for 32-bit and greater.

I'll post a patch in a minute.