Re: KVM: Softlockups in guests while running kernbench

From: Nikunj A Dadhania
Date: Thu May 10 2012 - 10:46:53 EST

On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:39:04 +0530, Nikunj A Dadhania <nikunj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:22:00 +0300, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 05/10/2012 11:15 AM, Nikunj A Dadhania wrote:
> > > I am running a 3.4.0-rc4 based kernel(commit: af3a3ab2), guest config
> > > attached.
> > >
> > > During my tests, I saw few softlockups inside the guests while running
> > > kernbench inside the guest. I can reproduce this repeatedly.
> > >
> > > Test Setup:
> > >
> > > - Create 4 VMs (8vcpu, 1GB RAM)
> > > - Run kernbench inside each guests (kernbench -f -M -H -o 16) in parallel
> > >

> > How overcommitted are you?
> 8 Physical CPU and 32 vCPUs
>
> > What does the host hardware look like?
> Machine : IBM xSeries with Intel(R) Xeon(R) x5570 2.93GHz CPU with 8 core , 64GB RAM
> Threading is disabled.
>
> > Is there any load on the host?
> No
>

> > The traces themselves always point a couple of instructions after
> > interrupts are enabled. Can you post a few more?

I had a discussion with Avi on IRC, he suggested running a trace on the
host for the sched: tracepoints

So when I see the console of the guest, i can see the soft-lockup
messages. When I start tracing, soft-lockups disappear.

Kernbench is started from the host; ps output:
13359 pts/1 S+ 0:00 perf stat -a -- ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13362 pts/1 S+ 0:00 ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13373 pts/1 S+ 0:00 perf stat -a -- ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13376 pts/1 S+ 0:00 ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13387 pts/1 S+ 0:00 perf stat -a -- ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13390 pts/1 S+ 0:00 ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13401 pts/1 S+ 0:00 perf stat -a -- ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log
13402 pts/1 S+ 0:00 ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx cd /root/linux-src; kernbench -f -M -H -o 16 > /root/kbench.log

I have tried following commands trace-cmd:
1) trace-cmd record -e kvm -e sched -b 100000 -p 13362
2) trace-cmd record -e sched -b 100000 -p 13362
3) trace-cmd record -e kvm -b 100000 -p 13362

I have tried trace-cmd on qemu pid as well, I see similar behaviour in
that case.

Peterz/Ingo, Any clue on debugging this would help.

Regards
Nikunj