Re: Work queues and cpu isolation

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef
Date: Wed May 09 2012 - 10:35:55 EST

Hi Wilson,

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM, wilson self <wself00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have done some reading on the subject of work queues and CPU
> isolation, and specifically I've read a number of posts from Max K.
> dating back to 2008 on the subject of CPU isolation.  However, I have
> not seen much in the way of discussion on the subject in more recent
> times, specifically in the 3.x kernels; where it appears there are
> some significant differences in the structure of workqueue in general.
>
> Is there anyone currently doing work on additional isolation of CPUs
> from work queues? I have some requirement to further isolate cores on
> a machine from these queues and am hoping someone here could point me
> in the right direction.

Yes, I am and so do many other people on the general topic of CPU isolation.

Start here: https://github.com/gby/linux/wiki

Continue here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/5/3/268

And if you are interested in CPU isolation in general, then these will
interest you as well:

http://lwn.net/Articles/495422/

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1202.1/00590.html (this
last patch set has gone into 3.4-rc1 already)

I'd be very glad to cooperate :-)

Gilad

> Thanks.
> wilson
> --

Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker
gilad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Israel Cell: +972-52-8260388
US Cell: +1-973-8260388
http://benyossef.com

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
 -- Jean-Baptiste Queru