Re: Lockdep false positive in sysfs

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 17:16:26 EST

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:09:22PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I don't mind the attitude we are clever careful programmers we can
> handle the complexity and we can get away without the tool help us, but
> I would much rather see the attitude that we are clever careful
> programmers and we can figure out how to make the tool help us instead
> of just ignoring it.

I'm okay with using static array of keys so that each level maps to
separate key or just calling it a special case and ignoring it, but I
think it's quite silly to use an async mechanism just to avoid lockdep
warning. Things like that tend to make things obscure as people
generally don't expect lockdep annotation to dictate overall
behaviors. It is an annotation problem. Let's keep it that way.

Thanks.

--
tejun