Re: [RFC] TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME, arch/*/*/*signal*.c and all such

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 17:12:47 EST

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:20:02PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:

> But I will say that the intent of tracehook_signal_handler has always
> been what its kerneldoc says: Call it once when handler setup is
> complete (exactly once per signal delivery, so potentially multiple
> times before actually returning to user mode). Though it is indeed a
> no-op today when stepping==0, we want its use to continue to conform
> to that exact definition so that one day we could add e.g. a
> PTRACE_EVENT_SIGNAL_HANDLED feature just by hacking tracehook.h and
> not have to go back into every arch's signal code and recover
> understanding of how the call is being used. (It was more than enough
> work to do that once when I broke out and documented the tracehook.h
> interfaces the first time.) You know, as if we thought modularity
> were a useful notion.

OK... FWIW, it sounds like an argument for using it (or a function in
kernel/signal.c that would call it) on all architectures.

Note that there's an extra complication on alpha and itanic - we have more
than just struct pt_regs * there. If we care about the rest of registers
(struct switch_stack on alpha), we probably need to do something about that.
Hell knows... On alpha, in particular, we always get switch_stack argument
of do_notify_resume() et.al. at the constant offset below pt_regs one -
mov $sp, $16
bsr $1, do_switch_stack
mov $sp, $17
is how it's done. So there we could switch to use of container_of(). On
ia64 we have struct sigscratch with pt_regs embedded into it, so there
container_of() is also reasonable. I wonder how alpha and itanic deal
with do_coredump(), BTW - it gets pt_regs, but not the rest...

Another fun story: x86 and mips has do_notify_resume() with void *unused as
its second argument. It used to be sigset_t *oldset and it remains unused
since 2006 or so. Three years later arch/score went in - with the same
void *unused as the second argument of do_notify_resume(). Gotta love the
cargo-cult programming...

BTW, what's the story with 'cookie' argument of get_signal_to_deliver()?
Everything passes NULL in it and nothing actually looks at the value
passed (it's passed further without being looked at, until it reaches
ptrace_signal_deliver(), which ignores it completely on all architectures).
AFAICS, it's a rudiment of something that was used only on sparc and got
discarded as hopeless in commit 28e6103665301ce60634e8a77f0b657c6cc099de