Re: RFC: How to handle function tracing, frame pointers and-mfentry?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Apr 27 2012 - 15:43:37 EST

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 14:46 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Currently, function tracing selects CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER for various
> archs (including x86), as the kernel will not compile without it, if
> function tracing is enabled. But if -mfentry is available with the
> compiler, it does not have this dependency. The kernel will compile fine
> with -pg -mfentry and without frame pointers.

Just to show the difference. I ran several iterations of hackbench, on
an Intel Quad Core2 2.6GHz.

Here's the fentry code with frame pointers (tracing disabled):

Time: 2.006
Time: 2.028
Time: 2.028
Time: 1.999
Time: 2.035
Time: 2.037
Time: 2.006
Time: 1.996
Time: 2.049
Time: 1.991
Time: 2.038
Time: 2.047
Time: 2.039
Time: 2.000
Time: 2.021
Time: 2.011
Time: 2.007
Time: 2.024
Time: 2.033
Time: 2.027
Time: 2.044

And the fentry code with frame pointers disabled:

Time: 1.870
Time: 1.861
Time: 1.865
Time: 1.884