Possible 32-bit PAE kernel I/O slow down with 3.3.X

From: Joe Ceklosky
Date: Thu Apr 26 2012 - 21:54:26 EST

I have notice significant slow downs with disk I/O on a 32-bit PAE 3.3.X kernels.

The test machine has 16GB memory, Intel i5 CPU, Intel
motherboard, and an Intel 160GB SSD. I copied 536M from one partition on an SSD to another.
Yes, I should be using a 64bit kernel with 16GB!

Test 1:
kernel 3.3.2 32-bit PAE with kernel parm mem=3G

time cp -ra testdir/ /tmp
real 0m8.989s
user 0m0.094s
sys 0m1.080s

Test 2:
kernel 3.3.2 32-bit PAE

time cp -ra testdir/ /tmp
real 1m17.068s
user 0m0.173s
sys 0m2.149s

Also I tested kernel 3.2.16 32-bit PAE with no memory limits 16GB and it
was in line with test 1.

I can repeat and provide any debugging information if needed.

Thanks,
Joe Ceklosky