Q: When do files in /proc change their times?

From: Ulrich Windl
Date: Mon Apr 16 2012 - 04:30:32 EST

Hello!

I have a simple question: When do files in /proc show changed modification times?
Specifically: When is "/proc/sys/kernel/random/boot_id" expected to change ist time?

I found out that usually the "file" doesn't change ist modification times, so I expected the modification times to change when the content changes. Obviously a wrong assumption: No reboot, but the file date changed.

According to syslog there was nothing special, but I did install some software packages (SLES11 SP1 (2.6.32.54-0.3-xen), no kernel) some seconds before that.

Maybe some kind soul could answer and CC: me as I'm not subscribed to the kernel list.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl