Re: [GIT] Sparc

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Apr 14 2012 - 05:13:58 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:46:34PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > With special guest sparc64 assembler hacker, Paul E. McKenney.
> >
> > Oh christ. You're teaching *more* people about sparc64?
> You do not get it...
>
> How many people are pondering around tweaking every bit of x86
> specific code? A lot! Let them have fun competing :-)

I wish it was so! In reality there's really just a handful of
people looking at actual x86 assembly code. I don't know whether
I've ever seen a conflict between substantial x86 assembly
patches, in the last 4 years since I co-maintain the x86
architecture ...

So there's no competition worth speaking of in x86 assembly
land, let alone any harmful competition due to overcrowding.
You guys are all welcome, and each of you will make a real
difference.

Imagine what would happen to Linux adoption rate if DaveM
started hacking on assembly code that had more than a few
dozen active users?? ;-)

> In sparc land things are much more quiet.

I guess when you are close to absolute zero degrees then even
liquid oxygen indeed looks incredibly hot ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo