Re: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 19:18:35 EST

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Stefan Richter wrote:
>
>>> If you do not like to wait for Linus and Greg, you simply have to derive
>>> an own kernel which additionally contains your preferred fixes.
>>
>> Yes, because clearly everybody thinks the process is perfect, and
>> criticizing it is heresy.
>
> Close. ÂNot everyone. ÂFor example, you do not think the process is
> perfect.

So you think the process is *perfect*? I would have expected
reasonable people to know that nothing is perfect, realize the
sarcasm, and meditate for a second. But it seems expecting somebody to
agree the process is not perfect is too much to ask.

> I don't think Stefan meant the above as tongue-in-cheek, for what it's
> worth. ÂAnother stable kernel with different rules really would be an
> interesting exercise, and would probably fulfill a need for a certain
> audience.
>
> It's not like nobody does that already, anyway. ÂFor example, I hear
> Fedora has a kernel that they maintain well for a different audience,
> using different rules.

Of course, although the difference with the stable kernel would be
very small if the only thing added is an extra rule for acceptance:
"It reverts an earlier
patch to 'stable'."

But "we do this, and if you don't like it you can do whatever you
want" is not a valid argument in favor of the status quo, even though
it's used a lot in open source, and it's true, and there's nothing
wrong with that... I yet have to see an answer to my arguments, and
not a regurgitated answer for something nobody is proposing.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras