Re: [ath9k-devel] [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 18:53:22 EST

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> I guess I should avoid the "stable" series then.
>
> I wish you had understood this much much sooner so that this nonsense
> thread could have been avoided.
>
> If you want the very latest fixes then *obviously* you need to use
> the most bleeding edge repo. (Linus')

No, I don't want the latest fixes, I want the latest *stable* kernel.

v3.3 is stable, v3.4-rcx are not. v3.4 would take months to cook,
there will be several release candidates, and it won't be released
until the known issues decrease to a reasonable level.

v3.3.x on the other hand are *not* stable. They contain patches
backported from v3.4, but nobody guarantees they will work. There was
no v3.3.1-rc1, so the first time the patches compromising v3.3.1 were
generally tested together is in v3.3.1, at which point if somebody
finds issues, it's too late; bad patches are *not* going to be removed
in v3.3.2. Once a tag is made, all the patches in it are dependent on
the pace of the development of mainline (v3.4-rcx), which is
definitely not stable, specially in the first release candidates.

IOW, the "stable" branch tries to be stable up to a point, then, it
becomes a testing ground for mainline, and a tracking device for
certain mainline issues.

--
Felipe Contreras