suspected regression in 3.0.28 - applications having problemsbinding to ports

From: Nikola Ciprich
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 14:24:59 EST

Hi,

I'd like to report following suspicious behaviour of 3.0.27 kernel.

On one of our production boxes, after upgrading from 3.0.26 to 3.0.27,
applications started to behave weird after ~1 day uptime.
Squid started reporting problems binding to port, nagios misbehaved, etc.
I was forced to revert to 3.0.26. We tried to reproduce the problem but were unsuccessful.
After ~1 week without problems with 3.0.26, I tried upgrading this production box to 3.0.27
again to see what happens and the problem appeared again after about one day.

imap started reporting problems:
EMAIL DELIVERY CRITICAL - imap failed: IMAP RECEIVE CRITICAL - Could not connect to A.B.C.D port 993: IO::Socket::INET6 configuration

same for squid:
commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 21 to 0.0.0.0: (98) Address already in use

nagios processes went totally nuts.

There was no other change except for the kernel upgrade.
The box is x86_64 quad CPU 4GB machine, what might be important, we're using
IPv6 as well.
I don't see any suspicious (at least to me) patch between 3.0.26 and 3.0.27.
Since it seems to take quite a long to reproduce, I haven't tried bisect yet, first
wanted to ask - hasn't anyone experienced similar problems?

thanks a lot in advance!

with best regards

nik

--