Re: [GIT pull] timer fixes for 3.4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 18:20:15 EST

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The itimer removal one is not strictly a fix, but I really wanted to
> avoid a rebase of the urgent ones.

Btw, I think that setitimer NULL pointer removal commit is crap.

If people actually do rely on the NULL pointer thing, we're not
"scheduling it for removal". And we most *definitely* aren't
scheduling it for removal for some short timeframe like 3.6.

That's not how ABI's work. If it has become something people rely on,
it now *is* part of the ABI, and no amount of "violates the spec"
matters what-so-ever.

"The spec" is paper - and worthless. What people actually *do* is all
that matters.

Linus