Re: [ath9k-devel] [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 18:03:13 EST

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> So just reverting it from stable, *WITHOUT LEARNING THE LESSON*, is
>> not a no-op at all, it's a sign of being a f*cking moron.
>
> Btw, the revert is now in my tree (commit 011afa1ed8c4), and marked
> for stable. So *now* Greg can revert it from stable too.
>
> But the important lesson to everybody should be that "we don't lose
> fixes from -stable". If a problem was found in stable, it needs to be
> fixed upstream. In fact, quite often people *do* find problems in
> stable, because it tends to have more users more quickly than
> mainline. That makes it really really important to make sure that
> those problems get fixed upstream, and not hidden in stable due to
> some kind of dieseased "it's a no-op to revert it" thinking.
>
> End of story.

FWIW if people want stable fixes propagated faster (before Linus sucks
it in or Greg sucks it in after Linus) things like compat-wireless (to
be renamed to compat-drivers) allows us to get these out, but we label
them properly [0]. We in fact have a place holder for even other type
of non-upstream patches that any PHB may come up with as required but
-- the key is to

1) help categorize these properly
2) keep metrics of them
3) prioritize upstream first

The pending-stable/ patches get patches out to the community faster
than Linus / Greg can apply them or before we even get the community
to test them. We get these sucked out by looking for the Cc:
stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The linux-next-cherry-pick/ allows you suck out
non-stable patches and I gladly accept such patches so long as they
are in linux-next and I can suck them out automatically if you Cc:
stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx There are similar tricks for the other types of
patches.

[0] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/#Additional_patches_to_stable_releases

Luis