Re: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 16:30:46 EST

Am 12.04.2012 22:06, schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:57:53PM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
Hello,

Am 12.04.2012 02:29, schrieb Greg KH:

is there any chance for this one to be included in this review cycle?

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg87999.html

Have you read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt? Based on that, I
don't think it can, yet, right?

Hmm, after reading that, I think the text could need an update about
how to submit patches written by others (which can already be found
in the upstream tree).

At least for me the text reads like only the authors can request
inclusion of a patch into the stable tree.

Patches are always welcome, but I think you will find the file already
describes this (hint, the first '-' line for the Procedure section
handles it).

That reads:

"- Send the patch, after verifying that it follows the above rules, to
stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx You must note the upstream commit ID in the
changelog of your submission, as well as the kernel version you wish
it to be applied to."

Maybe I'm a bit dumb, but what would be my changelog if the patch was written by someone else (and e.g. fixes something the author wasn't aware of or hasn't described)?

Sorry, but I don't understand "changelog" in that context. Should I modify the (description of the) patch?

Regards,

Alexander