Re: [RFD] Merge task counter into memcg

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 12:55:49 EST

If this gets really integrated, out of a sudden the overhead will
appear. So better care about it now.

Forcing people that want to account/limit one resource to take the hit
for something else they are not interested in requires justification.

Agree. Even people aiming for unified hierarchies are okay with an
opt-in/out system, I believe. So the controllers need not to be
active at all times. One way of doing this is what I suggested to
Frederic: If you don't limit, don't account.

I don't agree, it's a valid usecase to monitor a workload without
limiting it in any way. I do it all the time.

That's side-tracking. This is one way to do it, not the way to do it.
The main point is that a controller can be trivially made present in a hierarchy, without doing anything.

A big number of controllers creates complexity. When coding, we can
assume a lot less things about their relationships, and more
importantly: at some point people get confused. Fuck, sometimes *we*
get confused about which controller do what, where its
responsibility end and where the other's begin. And we're the ones
writing it! Avoiding complexity is an engineering principle, not a
gut feeling.

And that's why I have a horrible feeling about extending the cgroup
core to do hierarchical accounting and limiting. See below.

Now, of course, we should aim to make things as simple as possible,
but not simpler: So you can argue that in Frederic's specific case,
it is justified. And I'd be fine with that 100 %. If I agreed...

There are two natural points for inclusion here:

1) every cgroup has a task counter by itself. If we're putting the
tasks there anyway, this provides a natural point of accounting.

I do think there is a big difference between having a list of tasks
per individual cgroup to manage basic task-cgroup relationship on one
hand, and accounting and limiting the number of allowed tasks over
multi-level group hierarchies on the other. It may seem natural on
the face of it, but it really isn't, IMO.

It makes less sense to me now after I read Frederic's last e-mail. Indeed, you are both right in this point.

To reraise a point from my other email that was ignored: do users
actually really care about the number of tasks when they want to
prevent forkbombs? If a task would use neither CPU nor memory, you
would not be interested in limiting the number of tasks.

Because the number of tasks is not a resource. CPU and memory are.

So again, if we would include the memory impact of tasks properly
(structures, kernel stack pages) in the kernel memory counters which
we allow to limit, shouldn't this solve our problem?

You said in private email that you didn't like the idea because
administrators wouldn't know how big the kernel stack was and that the
number of tasks would be a more natural thing to limit. But I think
that is actually an argument in favor of the kmem approach: the user
has no idea how much impact a task actually has resource-wise! On the
other hand, he knows exactly how much memory and CPU his machine has
and how he wants to distribute these resources. So why provide him
with an interface to control some number in an unknowwn unit?

You don't propose we allow limiting the number of dcache entries,
either, but rather the memory they use.

The historical limiting of number of tasks through rlimit is anything
but scientific or natural. You essentially set it to a random value
between allowing most users to do their job and preventing things from
taking down the machine. With proper resource accounting, which we
want to have anyway, we can do much better than that, so why shouldn't
we?

Okay.

I may agree with you, I might not.

It really depends on Frederic's real use case - (Frederic, please comment on it).

If we're trying to limit the number of processes *as a way* of limiting the amount of memory they use, then yes, what you say makes total sense.

I was always under the assumption that they wanted something more. One of the things I remember reading on the descriptions, was that some services shouldn't be allowed to fork after a certain point. Then you could limit its amount of processes to whatever value it has now.

For that, stack usage may not help for much.

Now, my personal take on this: Use cases like that, if really needed, can be achieved in some other ways, that does not even involve cgroups.

One of the things for the near future, is start putting more kinds of data in the kmem controller. Things like page tables and the stack are the natural candidates. I am in Hannes side in saying that it should be enough to disallow any malicious container to do any harm.

But it is not even necessary!

- Each process has a task struct
- task struct comes from the slab.

Even my slab accounting patches are enough to prevent harm outside the container. Because if you fill all your kmem with task_structs, you will be stopped to go any further.

As a matter of fact, I've being doing it all the time during the last few days while testing the patchset.