Re: swapoff() runs forever

From: Richard Weinberger
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 19:09:21 EST

Am 09.04.2012 20:40, schrieb Hugh Dickins:
I've not seen any such issue in recent months (or years), but
I've not been using UML either. The most likely cause that springs
to mind would be corruption of the vmalloc'ed swap map: that would
be very likely to cause such a hang.

It does not look like a swap map corruption.
If I restart most user space processes swapoff() terminates fine.
Maybe it is a refcounting problem?

You say "recent Linux kernels": I wonder what "recent" means.
Is this something you can reproduce quickly and reliably enough
to do a bisection upon?

I can reproduce the issue on any UML kernel.
The oldest I've tested was 2.6.20.
Therefore, bug was not introduced by me. B-)

Thanks,
//richard