Re: almost time to run my kernel source cleaning scripts again?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 18:12:32 EST

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Jesper Juhl wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> > it's been a while so i was thinking of firing up my scripts to
> > peruse the source tree looking for oddities/inconsistencies/whatever
> > (unless someone else is already doing that).
> >
> > one example is looking for preprocessor tests of symbols that aren't
> > defined in any Kconfig file, and i can focus on any part of the source
> > tree. for example, if i run that script against drivers/mmc, i get:

> > drivers/mmc/host/msm_sdcc.c:1408:#ifdef CONFIG_MMC_MSM7X00A_RESUME_IN_WQ
> >
> > telling me that a source file is testing a CONFIG variable that
> > doesn't exist.
> >
> > the scripts are available online
>
> I'd be interrested in taking a look at those. Got a URL where I can grab
> them?

as long as you promise not to snicker at them, here are my most
"popular" ones:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Kernel_cleanup_scripts

i typically used the word "unused" to refer to variables defined in
Kconfig files that simply aren't referenced anymore -- not fatal in
any sense, just leftover detritus when people removed code but forgot
to take out the corresponding Kconfig entry.

i use the word "badref" for instances where a CONFIG_ variable *is*
tested in a source file, but doesn't exist in a Kconfig file -- that's
typically more serious. or sometimes, it's just a typo.

just now, i ran the "find_badref_configs" script against the entire
drivers/ directory -- first few lines of output were:

drivers/scsi/arm/acornscsi.c:106:#undef CONFIG_ACORNSCSI_CONSTANTS
drivers/scsi/arm/acornscsi.c:413:#ifdef CONFIG_ACORNSCSI_CONSTANTS
drivers/scsi/arm/acornscsi.c:491:#ifdef CONFIG_ACORNSCSI_CONSTANTS
... snip ...

which i recognize by now since that's been there, like, *forever*.

anyway, feel free to play; i might do some tweaking on those over
the next few days.

rday