Re: CPU Hotplug rework

From: Srivatsa S. Bhat
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 02:03:17 EST

On 04/11/2012 06:30 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

>> I just noticed that the cpu_maps_update_begin/done() are already global.

Wow! Believe it or not, this is precisely the crux of the approach I was
suggesting all along!! :-) Just that when put to code, it looked slightly
different than this.. Sorry for not being clear.

So here is what I proposed, in a simplified form:

Modify the existing register_cpu_notifier() to this (by possibly giving
it a different name):

int __ref register_cpu_notifier(struct notifier_block *nb,
int (*do_setup)(void))
{
int ret;

cpu_maps_update_begin();
ret = raw_notifier_chain_register(&cpu_chain, nb);
do_setup();
cpu_maps_update_done();

return ret;
}

and then, in the caller, do:

register_cpu_notifier(nb, do_setup);

If the caller doesn't need any such extra setup, just do:

register_cpu_notifier(nb, NULL);

Of course, register_cpu_notifier() should handle NULL properly.
(My patch [1] handles it, along with some other special cases.)

That's it!

Also, it is to be noted that cpu_maps_update_begin/done() are global, but
not exported symbols - so modules can't use them. With the above approach,
we need not make them exported symbols, since the caller need not care about
these locks at all.

>>> That does have some attractive properties, now that you mention it. ;-)
>>
>> Which property? Stupid or Silly ;-)
>
> As with any piece of software, no matter how small, both. ;-)
>
> Of course, __register_cpu_notifier() would need lockdep checking to make
> sure that it wasn't called without the benefit of cpu_maps_update_begin().

Not with my approach ;-) Its all automatically handled :-)

> I might be missing something, but as long as that was in place, seems
> like it is a lot simpler and easier to use than the alternatives that
> Srivatsa and I were kicking around.

Hehe :-) Thanks for simplifying things, Steve!

[1]. https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/1/39

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat