Re: CPU Hotplug rework

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue Apr 10 2012 - 20:10:03 EST

On Sat, 2012-04-07 at 01:22 +0530, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:

> Wrapping only do_setup() within get/put_online_cpus() wouldn't serve our
> purpose, since the race with CPU Hotplug would still exist, just like
> before. So, let's consider what happens when we wrap both the functions
> within get/put_online_cpus():
>
> get_online_cpus();
> register_cpu_notifier(nb, mask);
> do_setup(mask);
> put_online_cpus();
>
> Unfortunately this leads to an ABBA deadlock (see below).

Just to throw out the stupid silly approach.

What about creating a "__register_cpu_notifier()" that just does:

int __ref __register_cpu_notifier(struct notifier_block *nb)
{
return raw_notifier_chain_register(&cpu_chain, nb);
}

Also making cpu_maps_update_begin/done() global (and probably rename
them).

and then in the above code do:

cpu_maps_update_begin();
__register_cpu_notifier(nb);