Re: Hang opening a pipe written to by a child, with SIGCHLD

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Apr 10 2012 - 18:55:39 EST

On 04/09, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:46:11 +0200
> From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Hang opening a pipe written to by a child, with SIGCHLD
>

> Hello,
>
> I had troubles running a simple bash script where a child wrote to a named pipe
> before dying, and the parent opened and read the pipe.
>
> On a computer, my script hangs always. Also under 'strace'. Not under 'strace
> -f'. Thinking of some race, I wrote a small script that hangs in the linuxes I
> could try (3.2.11 now):
>
> ----------
> #!/var/run/current-system/sw/bin/bash
>
> PIPE=/tmp/pipe
>
> rm -f $PIPE
> mkfifo $PIPE
>
> function spawn {
> echo DONE > $PIPE
> }
>
> spawn sleep 1 &
>
> while true; do
> echo reading
> while read LINE < $PIPE; do
> echo $LINE
> spawn &
> done
> done

Looks like, it hangs "correctly". At least from the kernel pov.

The parent sleeps in fifo_open()->wait_for_partner(), but there
are no pipe->writers.

Note that the parent (bash) re-opens /tmp/pipe after every "spawn".
Now,

- the parent (bash) forks the new child

- the new child sleeps waiting for reader

- the parent does open(pipe), this wakes up the child

- the child opens the pipe, writes, and exits

- the open from the child wakes up the parent, but
since it exits quickly fifo_open(FMODE_READ) can
notice the pending SIGCHLD and return -EINTR

- the parent restarts sys_open(), but nobody can
open it for writing

May be you can ask bash developers. Perhaps bash can move the
"restore stdin" logic into the child process, I dunno.

Or may be you can "fix" this script, just add "exec < $PIPE"
before the main "while true" loop.

Oleg.