Re: reboot via bios on X86_64?

From: Miles Fidelman
Date: Tue Apr 10 2012 - 14:09:48 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 01:26:43PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
For what it's worth, creating a path for X86_64 mode to reboot
through the bios seems like
a good thing to put on the wish list.
Not really - it's far more attractive to figure out how our behaviour is
differing from Windows and change it to match. I'll see what I can find
out about this machine.

Well.. keep in mind that that this particular machine has never run windows,
so I don't know if windows can reboot it either.

I expect it's like that long
laundry list of Dell servers that are in the quirks code - they all seem to
reboot via the bios when running in 32-bit mode. I wonder what they
do when running in 64-bit mode (at least some of them are amd64 compatible).

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra