Re: Grace period

From: bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue Apr 10 2012 - 09:37:39 EST

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 03:29:11PM +0400, Stanislav Kinsbursky wrote:
> 10.04.2012 03:26, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx ÐÐÑÐÑ:
> >On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:24:19PM +0400, Stanislav Kinsbursky wrote:
> >>07.04.2012 03:40, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx ÐÐÑÐÑ:

> >>Could you share this idea, please?
> >>
> >>Anyway, I have nothing against lists. Just was curious, why it was used.
> >>I added Trond and lists to this reply.
> >>
> >>Let me explain, what is the problem with grace period I'm facing
> >>right know, and what I'm thinking about it.
> >>So, one of the things to be containerized during "NFSd per net ns"
> >>work is the grace period, and these are the basic components of it:
> >>1) Grace period start.
> >>2) Grace period end.
> >>3) Grace period check.
> >>3) Grace period restart.
> >
> >For restart, you're thinking of the fs/lockd/svc.c:restart_grace()
> >that's called on aisngal in lockd()?
> >
> >I wonder if there's any way to figure out if that's actually used by
> >anyone? (E.g. by any distro init scripts). It strikes me as possibly
> >impossible to use correctly. Perhaps we could deprecate it....
> >

> Or (since lockd kthread is visible only from initial pid namespace)
> we can just hardcode "init_net" in this case. But it means, that
> this "kill" logic will be broken if two containers shares one pid
> namespace, but have separated networks namespaces.
> Anyway, both (this one or Bruce's) solutions suits me.
>
> >>So, the simplest straight-forward way is to make all internal stuff:
> >>"grace_list", "grace_lock", "grace_period_end" work and both
> >>"lockd_manager" and "nfsd4_manager" - per network namespace. Also,
> >>"laundromat_work" have to be per-net as well.
> >>In this case:
> >>1) Start - grace period can be started per net ns in
> >>"lockd_up_net()" (thus has to be moves there from "lockd()") and
> >>"nfs4_state_start()".
> >>2) End - grace period can be ended per net ns in "lockd_down_net()"
> >>(thus has to be moved there from "lockd()"), "nfsd4_end_grace()" and
> >>"fs4_state_shutdown()".
> >>3) Check - looks easy. There is either svc_rqst or net context can
> >>be passed to function.
> >>4) Restart - this is a tricky place. It would be great to restart
> >>grace period only for the networks namespace of the sender of the
> >>kill signal. So, the idea is to check siginfo_t for the pid of
> >>sender, then try to locate the task, and if found, then get sender's
> >>networks namespace, and restart grace period only for this namespace
> >>(of course, if lockd was started for this namespace - see below).
> >
> >If it's really the signalling that's the problem--perhaps we can get
> >away from the signal-based interface.
> >
> >At least in the case of lockd I suspect we could.
> >

> I'm ok with that. So, if no objections will follow, I'll drop it and
> send the patch. Or you want to do it?

Please do go ahead.

The safest approach might be:
- leave lockd's signal handling there (just accept that it may
behave incorrectly in container case), assuming that's safe.
- add a printk ("signalling lockd to restart is deprecated",
or something) if it's used.

Then eventually we'll remove it entirely.

(But if that doesn't work, it'd likely also be OK just to remove it
completely now.)

--b.