Re: 3.4-rc ath9k regression (Re: [ath9k-devel] 3.3.1 ath9kregression)

From: Michael Leun
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 10:03:37 EST

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:25:49 +0200
Michael Leun <lkml20120218@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 11:58:06 +0530
> Mohammed Shafi <shafi.wireless@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Michael Leun
> > <lkml20120218@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > After an suspend to disk / resume cycle (in kernel suspend to
> > > disk, openSuSE) with 3.4-rc2 my ath9k wireless does not ping
> > > anymore.
> > >
> > > Output of iwconfig wlan0 looks just as usual (associated to AP).
> > >
> > > iwconfig wlan0 essid <myssid> fixes this (causes an
> > > deauthenticate/authenticate with AP) - then connectivity is there
> > > again.
> > >
> > > Guess what: "Of course" does not happen when reverting
> > > c1afdaff90538ef085b756454f12b29575411214 ath9k: fix going to
> > > full-sleep on PS idle.
> > >
> > > So, in my opinion it should be seriously considered to revert that
> > > patch until it is fully understood what is going on and why.
> >
> > please try with the attached patch to see if it helps.
>
> Yes, this patch helps with the issue I see in 3.4-rc2 described above.

Sorry, but I have to partially rectify that:

It works, if the time the machine was suspended is short, as it was
when I did that testing.

But I noticed it failing, when the machine was hibernated for some
hours.

I easily can reproduce that, when I reboot the AP while the notebook is
down (btw: AP is TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND running OpenWRT backfire 10.03.1,
also using ath9k).

When I do this (hibernate notebook, reboot AP, resume notebook check
connectivity) with 3.4-rc2 and your test.patch it fails in 100% of
cases.

With 3.4-rc2 and c1afdaff90538ef085b756454f12b29575411214 reverted the
same works in 100% of cases.

> But I agree with Ben and Sergio that it does NOT help with the issue
> in 3.3.1 we all see.

I mixed up some mails and actually thought Ben had already answered
regarding your patch, but that is not true.

--
MfG,

Michael Leun