Is prctl(PR_SET_CHILD_SUBREAPER) going to break my code which checks getppid == 1?

From: Karl Pickett
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 16:30:22 EST

Re: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1236479

I'm wondering if this is going to break code that checks getppid() == 1?

I have a TCL/TK GUI app that spawns ssh. I want the ssh to die immediately if the GUI process crashes, so ssh is launched with a wrapper c program that does:

prctl(PR_SET_PDEATHSIG, SIGHUP);
if (getppid() == 1) /* parent died already? */
return 0;

So what is getppid() going to return for some user using this new 'session manager reaper'? How else am I supposed to do proper processes supervision (with TCL/TK as a parent...)? Also, this program is open source but we distribute binaries that work on as many platforms as possible... we find most users don't want to compile things.