Re: [GIT PULL] Disintegrate and kill asm/system.h

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 00:14:48 EST

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 13:50 +1100, Michael Neuling wrote:
> > Here are a bunch of patches to disintegrate asm/system.h into a set of separate
> > bits to relieve the problem of circular inclusion dependencies.
> >
> > The following changes since commit 437538267b672f9320833907f1b5acbb2605f4be:
> >
> > Merge tag 'fbdev-updates-for-3.4' of git://github.com/schandinat/linux-2.6 (2012-03-22 20:43:40 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dhowells/linux-asm_system.git split-asm-system_h
>
> It would have been nice to have this in linux-next for a day or two to
> sort out the merge issues, hence....
>
> This seems to have broken linus tree when compiling a pseries_defconfig

Ah yes, I also saw that, I was hoping you would give me today to run
through my test builds.

> We are currently getting:
> kernel/irq/irqdomain.c: In function 'irq_debugfs_init':
> kernel/irq/irqdomain.c:698:63: error: 'powerpc_debugfs_root' undeclared (first use in this function)
> kernel/irq/irqdomain.c:698:63: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
>
> ae3a197 Disintegrate asm/system.h for PowerPC
> is conflicting with
> cc79ca6 irq_domain: Move irq_domain code from powerpc to kernel/irq
> from Grant's tree.
>
> Adding the following patch fixes it for pseries_defconfig, although I'm
> not sure it's the right fix.

That will do as a quick fix (Linus, can you take it now ?), however..

> Grant: why does powerpc_debugfs_root appear in generic code? This seems
> very bogus.

Yes, Grant, you should move that to a different (generic) debugfs file,
the mapping information is valuable debug data for all architectures
that use the remapper, not just powerpc and it's not an ABI (no tool I
know of rely on the location of that debugfs file) so feel free to move
it around.

Cheers,
Ben.