Re: [RFC] perf tools: Including pre-generated flex files

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 15:46:44 EST

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>        But Ingo argues that flex and bison are just a yum/whatever
> install away, so we shouldn't clutter the kernel git history with things
> we can generate at build time.
>
>        What is your take on this?

I think I agree.

Building the *basic* kernel is different - I want people to be able to
build the kernel and install it and test it out with a fairly minimal
development environment.

But the perf tools
(a) are mainly useful for developers who can easily install these
things *anyway* (ie we're not talking the same kind of usage cases
where we want to encourage random people off the street to build and
test)
(b) already require things that are *much* less common than flex (ie
the whole libelf-devel stuff etc)
so I think having pre-generated lex/yacc files is just silly - just
install the tool.

Linus