Re: K7/Athlon Optimization Causes Build Fail on Kernel 3.3 i686

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 07:20:03 EST

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 06:56:51AM -0700, Trevor Turner wrote:
> Hi,
> The other day when I was compiling 3.3 on my home server, enabling the
> K7/Athlon familyÂoptimizations seems to cause the build to fail.

I'm assuming with this you mean

CONFIG_MK7, i.e. "Athlon/Duron/K7" in "Processor Family" under
"Processor Type and Features" in the kernel configurator? At least it
looks like this from your other mail with the failing .config.

> It fails without any erroneous output at the very end of the build and
> has beenÂreproducibleÂevery time I've built with it enabled. This
> machine has a pair of Athlon 2000+ MP's and I'm using Arch Linux's
> makepkg system (which calls make localmodconfig, make nconfig, and
> make -j3 bzImage modules) to build my kernels. I have experienced
> this issue on both the stock -ARCH kernel, and the -CK kernel under a
> number of different configurations.

Right, can you try this with the upstream kernel, i.e.

1. get one from kernel.org
2. copy the .config into the directory where you've unpacked the sources
3. do 'make oldconfig' and then 'make menuconfig' and go and select Athlon build
4. do 'make -j3 > w.log 2>&1' so that you can catch the build output into w.log
which you can send later

Also, which build tools are you using, simply do

./scripts/ver_linux

in the kernel source directory, catch the output and send it on pls.

This should be all for now, thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.