Re: Tracking regressions for next release(s)

From: Maciej Rutecki
Date: Mon Mar 26 2012 - 12:47:27 EST

Hi,

On piÄtek, 23 marca 2012 o 11:14:31 Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:01:19AM +0100, Maciej Rutecki wrote:
> > I am interested in the opinion of the developers, testers, and
> > everyone involved in the development of the kernel, if they thing that
> > tracking regressions and monitoring the quality makes sense,
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > especially since I met several times (put it mildly) dislike of such
> > work and the bugs are repaired relatively slowly.
>
> I can imagine people getting cranky when someone points out that there's
> a "boring" bug they need to fix instead of them working on the cool new
> feature they have thought of. It is the same old story we've been having
> since forever: people don't really love to fix bugs, especially if the
> code works for them and the bug doesn't appear on their boxes.
>
> > Perhaps someone has comments or proposals for change (in the way of
> > work or me).
>
> Yeah, we need a big bad assh*le :) who screams at everyone until their
> bugs is fixed.
>
> But serioulsy, this hasn't changed: we definitely need a regression
> list, I think it works even better when Linus goes over it and says
> this is fixed, that is this commit, etc. because he pulls all the trees
> in the end, ... so yeah, I think what you guys are doing is good and
> important.
>
> It would be even cooler if this list be expanded also to regressions in
> kernel performance which people have noticed from running benchmarks on
> different -rcs and have noticed differences there, maybe a website (not
> bugzilla) which lists all those regressions for interested parties to
> fix in addition to the LKML mails..., etc...
>
> Thanks for your hard work, btw.

Borislav, Bjorn Helgaas: thank you for the answer, but observing the
reactions I get the impression that tracking the regression is not likely
anyone's interest. In addition - especially on the last release cycle -
sometimes encountered difficulties in cooperation on this topic with developers:
ignoring request to update the status of the regression, or even add your e-
mail to bugzilla.

I give up tracking the regression, but not the kernel testing. Even now I have
a few hours per week more for it.

Regards
--
Maciej Rutecki