Re: next-20120313 cpuidle freezes when booting

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Wed Mar 14 2012 - 15:04:18 EST

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 11:29 PM, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > Yesterday's 3.3.0-rc7-next-20120313 gives me unpredictable freezes
> > on x86_64, on a ThinkPad T420s - I've not dared it on more machines.
> >
> > Usually when booting up (sometimes just after Freeing unused kernel
> > memory, sometimes random places elsewhere), but occasionally it manages
> > to get as far as X; doesn't usually manage to complete suspend+resume.
> >
> > 3.3.0-rc6-nex-20120309 behaved similarly; the last I tried before
> > that was 3.3.0-rc5-next20120227, which was okay.
> >
> > Bisection led me to "cpuidle: Add common time keeping and irq enabling",
> > (from the cpuidle-cons tree I think), and reverting that has so far
> > given me a working system (it's a success if I complete this mail).
> >
> > Below is the patch I've used to revert it (for other people having
> > problems with recent linux-next to try); but it's not quite correct,
> > because you did a merge on conflicting trees there, and I didn't spend
> > time to unravel all that, just get a working x86 system - since I've
> > left out some of your merge (in arch/arm/kernel/Makefile and arch/arm/
> > mach-at91/cpuidle.c), this reversion probably breaks arm as is.
>
> Hi Hugh,
>
> is it possible you give the cpuidle driver your host is using ?

"grep IDLE .config" tells me:

CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_CPU_IDLE_WAIT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_DEFAULT_IDLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_MENU=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_I7300_IDLE is not set

but I've a feeling that isn't what you need to know.

Is there some /proc or /sys file I can read to tell you?

Though if it's something that changes dynamically, then what
I read now might not be what it would say when things go wrong.

I expect you've realized by now, I haven't a clue about cpuidle
drivers: I hadn't even realized that idleness needs a driver.

Hugh