Re: [RFD] perf: Integrate logging facilities

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 21:08:19 EST

Hi,

On 3/12/12 3:58 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
This is a rough idea and there can be things I am missing. So I need to
listen to your advices.

What Arnaldo proposed was having core, library code return error codes and not
print anything to the user. Higher layers (commands only?) can take the return
error code and pass it to perf_<subsystem>_strerror() to dump a user friendly
string for the error. See

http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/13/302

It will work well for error cases, but how about warnings? I mean the case of something like handling new features on old kernels. I want give a (warning) message to user but let the code keep going instead of returning to the user. It seems not possible on above scenario, so should it be handled at all in higher layers? Couldn't the core code have that kind of flexiblity?

And current library code has lots of calls to pr_debug*, dump_printf as well as (something-or-)die. How can we handle this? For debugging functions, it cannot be moved out of the library for obvious reasons. For die, it can be converted to return a error code, but it might require adding non-trivial error handling path especially for deeply nested code IMHO.

Also, I think my proposal can still be applied for higher layer codes. It'd be better to standardize logging facilities at least for high level in order to be flexible for future changes.

Thanks,
Namhyung