Re: Git pull on linux-next tree shows "Performing inexact renamedetection"

From: Prasanna Kumar T S M
Date: Sat Mar 10 2012 - 11:21:40 EST

On Saturday 10 March 2012 04:38 PM, Rares Aioanei wrote:

> On 03/09/2012 08:28 PM, Prasanna Kumar T S M wrote:
>> Doing "git pull" on linux-next tree always shows "Performing inexact
>> rename detection" for a very long time (more than a hour and going). It
>> also uses more than 1.5GB of RAM (out of 2GB RAM) in my system. Not able
>> to do any thing when this is happening - even maximising a window takes
>> 2 minutes once such a situation is reached. I am killing the command
>> with a Ctrl + C as I am not able to do any work.
>>
>> What is the reason for this? What it does internally? Is there any way
>> to circumvent this? I don't want to clone linux-next again (that seems
>> to be the worst case solution).
>> --
>> linux-kernel" in
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>
> The first Google search result gave me this:
> http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Merging-limitations-after-directory-renames-interesting-test-repo-td6041103.html
>

> While long and pretty technical, it will shed some light, I believe.
> Good luck.

As mentioned in the thread it uses up all my RAM and also does a lot of
paging. In such situations I am not able to use the system. The big
issue is that it takes a very long time (I have waited for 1 hour and
more yet it did not stop). Is there any short cut route to pull the code?

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar