Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.2.9-rt17

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 22:08:42 EST

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 01:33 +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 22:20 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> >
> > > Now put the thing on 2 cpus and both tasks can endlessly chase each
> > > other's tail, no?
> >
> > How would this be different than what mainline does? When the lock is
> > released, it will wake up the other task.
>
> Nonsense. That code is not causing any headache in mainline simply
> because the lock holder cannot be preempted. So the contention case
> runs on different cpus. On RT the failure case is when the trylocker
> preempts the lock holder, which cannot be moved to a different cpu due
> to the implicit migrate disable. Aside of that cpu_relax() and ticket
> locks are there for a reason. They allow the other cpu to make
> progress instead of allowing the trylocking cpu to monopolize the
> cache line forever.

I understand that, I was replying to the "both tasks can endlessly chase
each other's tail". And I gave responses to that. The current solution
of having the task sleep for a tick still doesn't solve the issue of a
the owner being preempted by a higher priority task.

At least the solution I proposed wouldn't cause priority inversion,
where as the current solution can.

task-a (cpu 0) task-b(cpu1) task-c(cpu1)
-------------- ------------ ------------

retry: lock(y);

lock(x);
<<------------- preempt task-b
if (!try_lock(y)) {
unlock(x);
sleep(1);
goto retry;
}

Now task-a can be of the highest priority task in the system, and task-b
the lowest, but task-c is higher than task-b and lower than task-a. If c
is a CPU hog, then task-a will never get out of this loop.

With the lock inheritance, b will get to run over c.

> The only case where mainline can fail is when a high prio task does a
> mutex_trylock() loop and the mutex owner and the trylocker are pinned
> on the same core. Though I have not yet found code like that, but I
> have not looked too hard either :)
>
> It's a simple RT problem, which has been there forever, but obviously
> nobody did stress tests such code pathes on UP systems or if someone
> did he was not able to trigger it. On SMP this was not a big issue
> when task migration was almost always enabled. Due to the implicit
> migrate disable withing spinlocked regions we just made it more likely
> to happen.

Right, and I mentioned that the migrate disable causes new issues.

I'm trying to come up with a solution that doesn't "wait for some magic
event which is associated to the unlock of i_lock". Because that's what
we are doing right now. The magic event is the sleep hoping that it will
unlock the lock. And a solution that isn't as nasty as the multiple
readers lock.

Maybe the lock inheritance isn't the best solution, but I believe it's
better than the sleep and hope solution that's there now. And I don't
think it would be that complex to implement.

-- Steve