Re: Fine granularity page reclaim

From: Konstantin Khlebnikov
Date: Wed Mar 07 2012 - 15:33:25 EST

Zheng Liu wrote:

On Monday, February 20, 2012, Konstantin Khlebnikov <khlebnikov@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:khlebnikov@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> Zheng Liu wrote:
>>
>> Cc linux-kernel mailing list.

>>> There was my patch for fixing similar problem with shared/executable mapped pages
>>> "vmscan: promote shared file mapped pages" commit 34dbc67a644f and commit c909e99364c
>>> maybe it will help in your case.
>>
>> Hi Konstantin,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. I have tested it in upstream kernel. These
>> patches are useful for multi-processes applications. But, in our product
>> system, there are some applications that are multi-thread. So
>> 'references_ptes> 1' cannot help these applications to hold the data in
>> memory.
>
> Ok, what if you mmap you data as executable, just to test.
> Then these pages will be activated after first touch.
> In attachment patch with per-mm flag with the same effect.

Hi Konstantin,

Sorry for the delay reply. Last two weeks I was trying these two solutions
and evaluating the impacts for the performance in our product system.
Good news is that these two solutions both work well. They can keep
mapped files in memory under mult-thread. But I have a question for
the first solution (map the file with PROT_EXEC flag). I think this way is
too tricky. As I said previously, these files that needs to be mapped only
are normal index file, and they shouldn't be mapped with PROT_EXEC flag
from the view of an application programmer. So actually the key issue is
that we should provide a mechanism, which lets different file sets can be
reclaimed separately. I am not sure whether this idea is useful or not. So
any feedbacks are welcomed.:-). Thank you.

Sounds good. Yes, PROT_EXEC isn't very usable and secure, per-mm flag not
very flexible too. I prefer setting some kind of memory pressure priorities
for each vma and inode. Probably we can sort vma and inodes into different
cgroup-like sets and balance memory pressure between them.
Maybe someone was thought about it...