Re: speakup bug

From: John G. Heim
Date: Sat Mar 03 2012 - 21:04:28 EST

From: Alan Cox
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: speakup bug

returns an error code. But it looks as if the region for a serial port,
0x3f8 - 0x3ff, in ioport_resource cannot be reserved because the entire
range from 0x000 through 0xcf7 is already taken by something named "PCI Bus
0000:00". Therefore calling request_resource always fails and the driver
f>or the speech synth errors out.

It's a heirarchical space, so you can allocate things within it. Look
at /proc/ioports.

# file /proc/ioports
/proc/ioports: empty

From looking at the code in resource.c, I don't know how you'd get a piece
of an already allocated range.

It looks like fixing the speakup code to do serial ports right is a lot of work. Maybe we can just fix this problem in the mean time.