Re: OMAP4 HDMI PHY bug work-around for stable

From: Tomi Valkeinen
Date: Wed Feb 29 2012 - 04:07:44 EST

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 08:47 -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't accept pull requests. I need patches in email form,
> as described in the file, Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt. Please
> feel free to send them from your git tree that way.

Ah, I somehow missed that txt when googling about the stable kernel.
Thanks for pointing it out.

> That seems like a lot of backporting for a single fix, but I'll be glad
> to review them when you send them.

This is something that is not quite clear to me:

Should I strive for keeping the patches for stable as close as possible
to the ones in mainline, and thus possibly being forced to take other
extra patches with the actual fix as I did here

or

should I just rather cook up a new patch which just fixes the problem
without caring about any cleanups etc. that are in the mainline, and
thus possibly creating a rather different patch compared to mainline's
version?

Tomi