Re: perf record: can I specify multiple events and use differentsample-after value

From: Yuanfang Chen
Date: Wed Feb 22 2012 - 14:03:36 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Namhyung Kim <namhyung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>

>>> I'm trying use perf tool from the linux kernel package to measure
>>> several raw PMU events. In the manpage of perf-record there is an "-l"
>>> option (Scale counter values), which is useful for my case because I
>>> want to know the total counter value, not just sample count. However
>>> it seems the -l is not recognized, is this expected? How can I get a
>>> total count?
>>>

>> "perf report --show-total-period" will be your friend.
>>

> Or else, why not simply run "perf stat"?

My purpose is to get some PMU counter value during each time interval,
only perf record can do this. When using perf record -F, I have to add
up all period value for some event in a some interval to get that
value. When perf record -c, things get a easier, just (sample count x
sample after value) will do, only hassle is to get sample count in
some time interval. However, perf record don't have an option to do
this.