Re: perf record: can I specify multiple events and use differentsample-after value

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Wed Feb 22 2012 - 01:01:20 EST

Hi all,

Hi,

I'm trying use perf tool from the linux kernel package to measure
several raw PMU events. In the manpage of perf-record there is an "-l"
option (Scale counter values), which is useful for my case because I
want to know the total counter value, not just sample count. However
it seems the -l is not recognized, is this expected? How can I get a
total count?

"perf report --show-total-period" will be your friend.

BTW, it seems you were using old version of perf (and kernel too, maybe).
I have no idea if your perf wouldn't support the option. :)

The "-l" option was meaningful only if you specified events more than the actual number of counters in the PMU.

Another question is that how can I specify multiple events and use
different sample-after value for each of them? like perf record -c
10000,2000000,2000000 -e r2d4,r03c,r0c0

It's not possible now. You should run a number of instances of perf for
that purpose AFAIK.

Thanks,
Namhyung