No /dev/root with devtmpfs?

From: Kirill Smelkov
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 06:31:09 EST

Hello up there.

Recently I've reworked my system not to use udev, but use devtmpfs
instead and discovered there is no /dev/root symlink in devtmpfs case.

My setup uses /dev/root early to know what is the boot device and then
do some operations on it like checksumming, etc...

Now when /dev/root is gone the best workaround I could come up with is
to grep /proc/partitions for '[hs]d[a-z]1' but it's ugly and will
break when there are several block devices attached.

Is it somehow possible to add /dev/root to devtmpfs?

Thanks,
Kirill