Re: [patch cr 2/4] [RFC] syscalls, x86: Add __NR_kcmp syscall v7

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Feb 03 2012 - 04:22:29 EST

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 10:09:29 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > ugly line break.
> > >

> > Why? Looks pretty good to me. But sure I'll change it.
>
> It's ugly because it serves no purpose other than pacifying
> checkpatch and makes the code *uglier*.

No it doesn't. For 80-col displays the code is *already wrapped*. And
that wrapping to column 0 is vastly worse than the above.

If we want to increase the standard to (say) 96 cols then fine, I'd be
happy with that. But until we do that we should not create such a
gruesome mess for those who use 80 cols.

> It's a disease. When checkpatch tells you "this line is too
> long" then consider it a code cleanliness warning!

Well yes, if it can be fixed by other means then great.