Re: [PATCH] move vm tools from Documentation/vm/ to tools/
From: Cong Wang
Date: Thu Feb 02 2012 - 02:33:40 EST
On 02/02/2012 10:13 AM, Dave Young wrote:
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Andrew Morton<akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:34:20 +0800
Dave Young<dyoung@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
tools/ is the better place for vm tools which are used by many people.
Moving them to tools also make them open to more users instead of hide in
It would be nice to covert these into simple pass/fail tests and
promote them to tools/testing/selftests/.
Andrew, I'm not clear about this, do you means to selftest
hugepage-mmap.c, hugepage-shm.c and map_hugetlb.c? I think slabinfo
and page-types should stay in tools/vm/. Can you explain a bit?
Check the comments in these files:
* Example of using huge page memory in a user application using the mmap
* system call.
* Example of using huge page memory in a user application using Sys V
* memory system calls. In this example the app is requesting 256MB of
* memory that is backed by huge pages. The application uses the flag
* SHM_HUGETLB in the shmget system call to inform the kernel that it is
* requesting huge pages.
* Example of using hugepage memory in a user application using the mmap
* system call with MAP_HUGETLB flag.
All of them are examples, not tests, not tools, thus Documentation/ is
the best place for them.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/