Re: Transparent huge pages and shmem?

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Mon Jan 23 2012 - 14:38:23 EST

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012, Borzenkov, Andrey wrote:

> In case of THP enabled kernel - will THP be used for SysV shmem?
> The obvious target is to avoid pre-allocation of huge pages pool
> for databases like Oracle that is required today.

It will one day, yes. Various people are very interested in THP on
tmpfs/shmem, which serves SysV shm. But at present THP is limited to
private anonymous pages, and its extension to shared file pages is not
trivial. I have not heard of anyone making significant progress on
that as yet - but perhaps someone is working on it behind the scenes.

Hugh