Re: PROBLEM: Kernel version 3.2.1 usb touchscreen device notrecognised [UDEV? USBINPUT? HOOK]

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jan 20 2012 - 15:45:49 EST

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 07:13:58AM +1100, Padfoot wrote:
> On 21/01/12 03:02, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 07:13:54PM +1100, Padfoot wrote:
> >>Upgrade from kernel 3.1.9 to 3.2.1 eGalax usb touchscreen device is
> >>no longer recognised.
> >>
> >>Device is an Acer Iconia Tab w501 with inbuilt touchscreen. Screen
> >>is a pci device but is connected on boot as a usb input device.
> >>Issue appears to be with either UDEV or USBINPUT boot hook failing
> >>to recognise the device as can be seen in the dmesg.3.2.1
> >>attachment.
> >>
> >>Downgrading to kernel 3.1.9 corrects the issue.
> >Can you run 'git bisect' between 3.1.0 and 3.2.0 to find the problem
> >commit here?
> >
> >Also, you might want to cc: the linux-input developers, they can help
> >you out much better than the general list can.
> >
> >greg k-h
> >
> Hi Greg,
>
> I am not a kernel dev, nor have I ever compiled a kernel, so I don't
> think I am able to help with a git bisect to locate the offending
> commit. I am just a regular user running pre-compiled packages on my
> Arch Linux distro. But, of course I am happy to assist wherever I
> can.

If you want to build your own kernel, there are lots of instructions on
how do this online (google for 'linux kernel in a nutshell' for a free
book about this.)

Otherwise, can you file a bug with the arch linux developers? They
might be able to help you out here better as you are using a distro
kernel.

good luck,

greg k-h