Re: Compat 32-bit syscall entry from 64-bit task!?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 19:42:09 EST

On 01/18/2012 03:28 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think we can obviously agree that regsets is the only way to go for
>> any kind of new state.
>
> So I really don't necessarily agree at all.
>
> Exactly because there is a heavy burden to introducing new models.
> It's not only relatively much more kernel code, it's also relatively
> much more painful for user code. If we can hide it in existing
> structures, user code is *much* better off, because any existing code
> to get the state will just continue to work. Otherwise, you need to
> have the code to figure out the new structures (how do you compile it
> without the new kernel headers?), you need to do the extra accesses
> conditionally etc etc.
>
> There's a real cost to introducing new interfaces. There's a *reason*
> people try to make do with old ones.

Of course. However, the whole point with regsets is that at the very
least the vast majority of the infrastructure is generic and extends
without a bunch of new machine. What you are saying is "we might be
able to get away with existing state", what I'm saying is "if we add
state it should be a regset".

The question if this should be new state is currently open. I
personally would still would prefer if this didn't overlay real CPU state.

-hpa