Re: [RFC] syscalls, x86: Add __NR_kcmp syscall

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 17:50:04 EST

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:05:31PM -0800, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >>Why on Earth would user space need to know which order in memory certain
> >>kernel objects are?
> >
> >For checkpoint restart and for some other kinds of introspection what is
> >needed is a comparison function to see if two processes share the same
> >object. The most interesting of these objects from a checkpoint restart case
> >are file descriptors, and there can be a lot of file descriptors.
> >
> >The order in memory does not matter. What does matter is that the
> >comparison function return some ordering between objects. The algorithm
> >for figuring out of N items which of them are duplicates is O(N^2) if
> >the comparison function can only return equal or not equal. The
> >algorithm for finding duplications is only O(NlogN) if the comparison
> >function will return an ordering among the objects.
>
> so what you really want is a syscall that can take a list of objects
> instead of having to do a syscall per object. right?

It doesn't matter. Even if we take a list of objects the kernel either
should return us some ordering info or find duplicates, in any case it
makes things more complex i think. So we wanted to bring some minimum
into kernel leaving the rest of work to user-space.

(and, btw, Eric, I'm really sorry that I didn't mentioned this sorting
problem at the very first email).

Cyrill